Sunday, April 05, 2015

Easter

I have not been writing.

Lots of stuff in my head, much adrenaline, and not much sleep this week.

Although my thumb appears to be pretty much healed, which is great.

I've been spending a good bit of time learning BJJ with the guru, home again for Easter.  Good conversations, much learning going on there.  He has a way of getting to the heart of things, and has the experience to know what works, what doesn't, and why.  At the BJJ school, I do learn while free rolling, but class itself feels a bit like trying to learn calculus before I really have a handle on arithmetic. Especially since I've been missing Beginner class, which coincides with the childbirth series I'm currently teaching.  With him, I can work on the arithmetic, which has been a big help.  

Most of what I know of JSD was taught to me by the guru, and it's interesting how different it is learning BJJ with him.  Everything about BJJ is based on efficiency and effectiveness, and that can be demonstrated so clearly by someone who knows what he's doing.  If I ask "why?" about something, it is easy for him to show me.  "Try it this way... and now try it THIS way.  See the difference?"  It's immediately apparent.  He reminded me that by simply spending time rolling I would learn these things myself, through pure immersion and trial and error, which was reassuring. Being shown a new move and waiting for an opportunity to try it out against a resisting opponent is fun, like learning a new math operation.  Right now, I'm mostly happy to get more comfortable drilling arithmetic.  I learned a few new techniques this weekend, but it may be a while before I'm ready to use them regularly.

In other news, Little had his first tournament last weekend outside Baltimore, and it didn't go that well for him.  He was at a serious disadvantage, with a more experienced opponent, but it was a learning experience, and he seems eager to try again.  The day itself was a lot of fun for him, so that was good. 

Middle has been playing rugby, and that has been going well also.  The eldest Teen was home from college this weekend.  Talking about his plans for the summer... we shall see.

Hoping for more sleep this week, as it will be a busy one, between 3 neuropsych evals and martial arts in one form or another every day.  The training buddy and I are supposed to resume our 5 a.m. workout this week as well.  

It's busy, but it's all good.

No comments: