Saturday, March 26, 2022

I'm Baaaaackkkk!

 This was my first week back at BJJ since the fall, when Covid began to peak again. 

Other than the adjustment from 6-7 hours of sleep per night to 4-5, it's been great!

Okay, I'm a little tired. It's hard going to bed before midnight, and now the alarm goes off at 5:20. I'm working on it. In the meantime, I'm getting a 15 minute Power Nap in at some point during the day, even though I realize this isn't ideal. I used to be able to do this schedule - I actually did this for years - but that was before Covid, before I had my own business, before I was 52 years old.... I'm trying to stay realistic in my expectations for myself. My other Sixam class friends and coach are in bed by 10, but I don't see that happening, especially since there are nights I don't get home from tutoring until after 8. I like having some time to eat, decompress, watch TV on the couch with Savageman, read, study, cuddle pets.... 

Weighing the benefits of the challenging workout, the satisfaction of pursuing my training goals, the companionship of my BJJ friends, and the resulting happy brain chemistry.... vs those extra 2 1/2 hours of sleep - it's tough.  Research says that, over the long-term, regularly sleeping less than 6 hours per night is not ideal, and I was already not great about that. On the other hand, training is good for me and caffeine is a Thing. 

I've decided for now to make the most of the opportunity for as long as I can. There is talk about Covid ramping up again this summer - and there is also talk of 4th doses of the vaccine for people over 50. The future is uncertain. All I know is that, for now, I love being back with my Tribe, nerding over training videos, feeling strong and badass after starting my day with live combat. I'll try to go to bed earlier, and if I can't.... caffeine and naps will suffice. 


No comments: