Tuesday, November 01, 2016

NaBloPoMo 2016

The goal is to blog something every day in November.

There was a moment of insanity when I actually considered doing NaNoWriMo again this year, but it passed quickly.  A 50,000 word novel is more pressure than I can handle in the next 30 days, although it would give me a convenient excuse to give myself a break from other challenges. BTDT in 2011, and it was a great experience, but I decided this wasn't the year for an encore. In reality, one blog post per day is an achievable goal, and an enjoyable way to reflect on life and where I'm at in this particular phase of it.

As usual, my focus will likely be on the joys and struggles of martial arts training.  One of my passions as a martial artist is outreach - I truly believe that everyone could benefit from some martial arts (or at least self-defense) training, and writing about it is certainly one way to reach out to others. Unfortunately, I'm also somewhat shy about sharing or promoting my musings, even with other martial artists who might enjoy and identify with my perspective.  So, I write primarily for myself, I try to be candid and honest, and I try to respect the privacy of those around me.  If you happen to have have come across this blog, I do hope you find some enjoyment or inspiration in it.  

A brief snapshot of my life on November 1, 2016:  My typical week is essentially split between part-time work doing psychometrics for a neuropsychology practice, running the (frustratingly cluttered and disorganized) home I share with my husband and 3 boys (ages 20, 17, and 13), and training in kickboxing and JSD at one school and Judo / BJJ at another.  At JSD, I'm a second-degree black belt with 7.5 years of training there.  At the other school, I've been training for almost 2 years.  I'm an orange belt in Judo (although AWOL from Judo class since probably July when I got serious about healing my shoulder injury) and a 1 stripe blue belt in BJJ.  This week, I have no work scheduled and I just finished physical therapy, so I'm enjoying some quiet time at home, soaking in the hot tub with the third Game of Thrones book, hanging from a pull-up bar and torturing the shoulder knots with a lacrosse ball, and doing general housework while listening to commentary regarding the most ridiculous election season in the history of humankind.

And, of course, writing.  I've forgotten how time consuming this can be!

Will do my best to keep up with it this month.

No comments: