Saturday, March 14, 2015

Grouchy

Maybe it's the fact that I didn't take kickboxing class Wednesday night after my ill-fated thumb checkup.

Maybe it's the fact that I didn't take JSD Thursday morning, opting instead for BJJ, which was more technique than adrenaline-charged workout.

Also, I started my new childbirth series Thursday night, so the only class I did then was the one where I taught pregnant couples how to breathe and relax.

Maybe it's because I did my (also technique focused) Judo lesson instead of sparring Friday.

And overslept and missed Saturday morning class.

Or, maybe it's just that I still haven't adjusted to the awful time change yet.

It's only been a few days, but I can feel the tension and pissy feeling already creeping in.

Technique is good.  And my new pursuits are an interesting new challenge.  But I'm reminding myself right now that if I don't do something to get my blood pumping, sweat pouring, adrenaline surging, etc. multiple times per week, I turn into an ogre.

Within 6 - 12 months, I'm sure rolling at BJJ will be a solid workout for me, but for now, it's mainly about getting comfortable with a new way of thinking and moving, and learning the positions and transitions.  I'm sore enough to know I've worked some new muscles, but it's not the same as running, kicking, punching or sparring the way I'm used to doing it.  I feel intellectually satisfied afterwards, but not euphoric like I do after a double class of cardio kickboxing / JSD.  Or a morning class or sparring class.

All things I need to keep in mind as I strive to find a balance between the two schools.

Starting next week, my goal is to pay closer attention to my adrenaline needs and make sure they get met first.  Flawed as it can be sometimes, I know how to push myself at JSD to get what I need out of it.  A good talk this week with the guru's own guru reminded me to keep it all in perspective.  I'm being realistic about what it is and what it can be for me, and I'm not losing sight of what it has done for me so far.

It's something I still need and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

No comments: