Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ow, My Arms!

Today I started a week of twice-daily Aleve for my elbows.

This is really pissing me off.

They've been hurting for a month or two now. I know it's from martial arts - punching and pushups in particular - but the overwhelming benefits of martial arts for my body and my sanity far outweigh a little elbow ache.

Don't they?

My elbows and forearms beg to differ.

You know how, when you wake up with an ache or a pain, you deal with it that day, figuring it will be better by tomorrow, or at least within a few days? And you go about your day, feeling it, but not being really bothered by it because you know it's only temporary?

This is no longer that. They hurt every day. I cringe when I reach for the jug of milk or stick my hand in the washing machine to pull the clothes out. Or when I hear the words "Single straight punch!" or "Push-up position!" in class.

So I'm doing a week of Aleve and trying to be gentle with them. Hoping I won't have to seek medical attention or need physical therapy or (gulp) cortisone injections. And I DON'T want to quit martial arts!

Poor, poor elbows! I'm sorry I've been so mean to you...

No comments: