Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Continuing

One good reason to avoid my writing project?

It's addictive. Like Chicktionary or Tetris, but with something to show for it.

Once I start, I don't want to stop.

Remember that guy who did his whole 50,000 NaNoWriMo book in two days?

I could so do that.

Will everyone please leave me alone so that I can write a 50,000 word novel?

Or a blog post, maybe?

Didn't think so.

There's something about seeing Mom sitting at the computer, engrossed in a writing endeavor, that attracts little boys like a powerful electromagnet. It's sweet that they love me so much, but...

The problem with writing is that you have to do it when the urge hits. If you put it off until a convenient time, you may not be in The Zone by then. Even though the house is finally quiet and there's nothing to do and no one to bother you - if you're not in The Zone, you might as well just go do laundry.

On the other hand, what's more frustrating than being wholly immersed in The Zone and finding yourself suddenly surrounded by children who will do anything for your attention?

Little just told me he was bored and would like to clean something. I kid you not.

Fingers flying over the keys, I muttered, "That's great, sweetie... start with your room."

"Will you help me?"

Ugh. Isn't that why we made you two big brothers? Room cleaning help?

I guess not.

At least they didn't expect me to cook for them. The three of them made pizza and homemade cookies for themselves and scarfed it all down while standing around the kitchen or sitting on the counter. Nothing for me. We real writers don't eat, after all. Or sleep. Or bathe.

Or blog.

Not when we're in The Zone.

2 comments:

josetteplank.com said...

Real writers don't blog? Ouch.

I guess our kids are telling us that real moms shouldn't be writing.

Kath said...

Your kids too??? If only these kids would realize the talent they are preventing the world from enjoying - or the amazing success and financial rewards we could achieve if only they would let us write to our hearts' content...

And I didn't mean to imply that "real writers" don't blog. Sorry you took it that way. I was just chastising myself for rambling here during time I had set aside for NaNoWriMo. My Inner Scowling Nun was standing over me, saying "Get back to work!"

She didn't let me eat dinner either. ;-)