Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Day 2: NaNoWriWhat?

Day 2 and I'm already way behind.

Due to the fact that I spent all of my writing time yesterday choosing names and wrote a mere 501 words, tonight I have to write 2833 just to break even. Because today was too nice to spend inside and I spent a huge chunk of it hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

Maybe I'd better get started, then.

Oh, but the Teen has a big Honors Biology test tomorrow and when he gets home from basketball practice at 9:15, I'll have to help him cram for that. Cramming is what he does these days - he refuses to believe his mom the brain scientist when she tells him that it's easier and more effective to learn something a little bit every day instead of cramming the night before, but whatever. Some people just have to learn the hard way. I just wish he'd learn it the hard way in a different subject where he won't be embarrassing me in front of my old biology teacher.

So, I'll catch up this weekend.

Oh, but as it turns out, this is the weekend my friend and I are taking a road trip to the Big Apple to wander around and see the sights. No writing happening there either. This weekend is going to put me back 5001 words - but it will be worth it, so I'm not complaining.

This is just to demonstrate how, little by little, I'm already getting way behind.

The story itself is shaping up nicely in my head. It's just a matter of choosing all those individual words, deciding in what order to put them, looking at them and deciding they need to be in a different order, changing them around, reevaluating the new order, switching them back... that makes it so time consuming.

Maybe I should stick to blogging. This is pretty much stream-of-consciousness stuff and it flows pretty well without much effort.

Am I boring you yet?

I guess I'd better get back to the novel now, before the Teen gets home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Write your novel stream of consciousness... it can work :)

Have fun in the big apple!