Tuesday, November 09, 2010

NaNoWriWhat? 2

Was I supposed to be writing a novel this month?

This is the part of NaNoWriMo when I start thinking about the guy who screwed around all month and hardly wrote anything - and then with two days to go, wrote his entire 50,000 word novel.

So it can be done in two days.

And I have 20!

I just have to write 2500 words per day instead of 1667.

That's not so bad, right?

Right?

Okay, let's be honest here. If I couldn't write 1667 words per day, there's no way I'm going to write 2500. I've got homeschooling to do, Teen Angst to manage, I was hoping to test for my Yellow Belt in early December, I'm teaching a childbirth class, doing neuropsych testing part time every day next week (and part of the folowing week), juggling multiple decluttering projects, traveling to D.C. next weekend and N.J. the following weekend, getting out with my friends when possible, and trying to read or watch an occasional movie with Savageman.

And do NaBloPoMo.

There just isn't enough coffee in the world to sustain all of this, plus novel-writing.

The question now is, do I just give up? Or do I keep going with my story, but not worry about the deadline or word count?

Or just wait and write the whole thing two days before it's due?

If this were college, that's the one I'd pick. It (usually) worked for me then.

I'm kind of bummed at the idea of giving it up. I have these romantic notions of spending November curled up in front of the fire at my friend's house, typing away on our laptops, getting together with our other writing friends and comparing word counts, hanging out in the B&N cafe sipping lattes while I write solo, sitting back and reading over what I've written, fighting the urge to edit...

It's fun stuff.

But, when I really think about it, I can do all of that without the deadline and the word count. Which is probably what I'll do. I still like my story and want to write it, and I can still have all that fun. I just have to be practical about it.

That's all the writing for tonight.

Maybe I can convince Savageman to watch part of a movie before bed.

No comments: