Sunday, November 04, 2012

Open Practice

Spent 4 hours in the dojang today working alone and with the guru and Teen Ninja Girl.

Best. Coaches. Ever.

Nothing gets by them.  If a chamber is wrong, a stance is off, a technique delivered with less-than-adequate power - they see it.

And I do it again.  My afternoon sounded something like this:

"Stop!  Go back."

"Again. Like this."

"Go back."

"Again."

"Better.  Once more."

"Now add this."

It's exhausting.  It's frustrating.  Extremely frustrating.

But at the end of it, I'm better. 

Much better.

In a follow-up conversation tonight, the guru made the observation that the plateau I'm on has less to do with knowing my material and more to do with executing the techniques with strength, flexibility, and efficiency. 

He went as far as to say that this hurdle is the largest one I've faced since starting my training, and I suspect he's right.

Now it's about the limitations of my body, which is 43; for the vast majority of those years it was inflexible and rejecting athleticism in any form.

His prescription for me? 

Back to basics. 

Working on the bags for power, increasing flexibility and range of motion. 

Yoga.

The truth is sometimes hard to hear, but I'll do it, because he is right.

Hoping to show some improvement in these areas when he returns in two weeks. 

Grateful for all of my teachers and coaches who have gotten me to where I am today.


Namaste...

 

No comments: