Monday, July 25, 2011

Remember All That Basil?

Savageman made pesto tonight.

This was a big deal. I don't remember the last time he tried to cook anything. He's pretty much happy with a bowl of granola or a protein bar or someone else's leftovers as a rule. If I or one of the kids makes something, he'll eat whatever it is without complaining. He's a wonderful sport in that regard - one of the things I love about him.

So, given that he's happy with whatever fills his belly, and that there's usually some kind of healthy food (or at least granola) around the house, he doesn't ever need to cook.

But tonight, on my first night back at kickboxing and karate classes, he took a bunch of that wonderful, local organic basil and made a big batch of delicious pesto.

The recipe:

4 cups basil
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic
6 sprigs parsley
salt and pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

He made a batch of linguine to go with it and I ate two big plates of it when I got home, hungry and tired from class. I washed it down with an unfiltered Belgian white beer, which was also quite wonderful.

Have I mentioned that Savageman totally rocks?

No comments: