Thursday, November 17, 2011

Back to Barefoot

Watching this and reminding myself that I need to get back to running, especially if I'm going to train for Toughmudder this April.  That's all we were talking about at kickboxing tonight; who's doing it, who's not, what we need to do to train for it... that kind of thing.

Despite the fact that I did about a million burpees this week, my upper body strength is not what it needs to be to get across 25 monkey bars, and I haven't run more than 5 miles in a row, ever - this thing is 10-12.

Of course,  it's not all running.  There's crawling through the mud under barbed wire, for example. 

You know, for fun.

Still thinking about it.  I'd do it, just for the experience of it and the camaraderie - if not for fears about injuries.  By April, I might be preparing for my red belt test, which is a big deal.  Mud is slippery.  I'm not a fan of slippery.  The dojang is slippery when people are really sweating, but at least you can usually jump over the slippery sweat puddles there. 


(I know, Ew.  But I'm convinced all the sweat sharing stimulates the immune system.)

Anyway, the video features Chris McDougall, who wrote Born to Run, a book I absolutely love.  Running was never really my thing until I learned you can (and possibly should) do it barefoot or at least in minimal footwear.  I'll never go back to sneakers knowing what I know now.

Hoping the weather stays nice for a little bit longer - I should probably get a baseline on how far I can actually run before I make a decision about this thing.  And how far I can go on monkey bars.



No comments: