Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Today Was Just Plain Awesome

... and I'm not just saying that because I didn't spend it trapped inside the Baltimore IKEA.

Okay, maybe I am.  A little.

What an amazing, glorious day. Everything felt good. I wrote, spent time with the kids, planned and prepared a special celebratory meal for the Teen (who texted me that he had made the Honor Roll), had time outside, time with friends on the phone... it was a full day.

And that was without kicking and punching, which I skipped in order to cook the big meal.  I'll be happy to get back to that again tomorrow.  If it's as nice as today was, I'll squeeze a run in as well. 

Saturday night, a friend asked if I wanted to join her team for this.  I'm thinking about it.  Whether I decide to do it or not, just knowing that it's a realistic, attainable goal at this point makes me feel pretty darn good in itself.  Middle said he'd train with me (although he's too young to participate), and Savageman was supportive as always.  It would certainly be an experience.  And, I am learning, one of the best things I can do as a parent.

I can lecture the boys until I'm blue in the face about working hard to achieve a goal, embracing a challenge, living life to the fullest, seizing the day, giving something everything you've got and then reaching inside yourself and finding more to give - all that stuff we like to tell kids - but it's the example I set - seeking out new experiences, taking on new challenges - that they will remember. 

When Middle is pushing himself through a grueling hour of cardio kickboxing class, I hope he occasionally glances across the room at his 42 year old mom and sees she's pushing through the same workout. Although he's been at it longer and is much better than me, for where I am, I'm putting in the time and sweat and doing my very best. Not to please or impress anyone else, not because I'm being forced to do it, just for the sheer joy of mastering a new skill.


I want nothing less for them.  Life should be one non-stop amazing adventure.

The best way to cultivate that attitude is to fearlessly live it myself.

No comments: