Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 63: Back to Normal

Getting in to the gym yesterday was probably the best thing I could have done.  Today, I felt fine.

The toe still hurts, of course, but as long as I keep it taped, it's pretty much fine.  I did ice it for a while today, and I'm sure I'll have to continue taping it for several weeks so as not to re-injure it, but for the most part, the Toe Crisis is just about over. 

Looking forward to getting back into the dojang tomorrow. 

I wasn't there for class tonight. 

Tonight was our Marriage Mentoring night, which is where Savageman and I meet with an engaged couple from our Church and teach them about communication, conflict resolution, and other marriage skills.  We call it our Blind Leading the Blind Night because we often suck at these things ourselves.  But we keep getting up, day after day, and commit ourselves to trying again - which is half the battle right there.  Even marriage requires indomitable spirit from time to time.

Stephen Covey says that a typical airplane is off-course 90 percent of the time, but it still reaches its destination because the pilot knows to make the little adjustments to get it back on course as needed. 

So it is with marriage.

Our couple seems to really like us - when given the choice between making tonight our last meeting and going for the optional 5th session, they both agreed that they wanted to come back again.  That made me feel really good - we like them a lot too, and despite the differences in our ages and stages of life, we seem to laugh a lot and enjoy each other's company.  It's nice to know that the time we sacrifice to this ministry seems to be making a difference.  We'll miss them when our time together is over.

As for the rest of my night, I have a book to finish reading, and another one I'm eager to begin.  And I'm tired.  The Teen has been waking me up in the middle of the night these last few nights to lament the hives he's been dealing with all week (they started in the ER and have become progressively worse each day).  I keep telling him that unless his airway is closing up, there's really no reason to wake me - there's nothing I can do for him - but he just wants to share the experience with me.  At 4 a.m.  Last night's entertainment was watching his lips swell up like Angelina Jolie's.  Not kidding.  He's better tonight since we stopped giving him antihistamines.  This is the only kid I've ever heard of who seems to actually be allergic to Benadryl.  I left the doctor's office today with a prescription for Prednisone (which he said not to fill unless we absolutely had to) and one for an epi-pen (because anxiety that his airway may be next was probably feeding the reaction).

Hopefully, we'll all get some sleep tonight.

I'm looking forward to being back to normal.

No comments: