Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 76: Soggy Backpacking


My first backpacking trip was a wet one. 

But it was actually good to train under these conditions because a good weather trip can only be easier.  Now that I've done it, I won't be daunted if I need to take a group out when there's rain in the forecast.

Our Girl Scout Council is implementing a new 5-tier program for girls who want to "achieve the ultimate outdoor experience by reaching goals through physical and mental endurance, preparing for the unexpected and understanding nature and the various ecosystems our world has to offer."  Girls start with an easy two night trip on Girl Scout property (which is what we are doing this weekend) and potentially progress to planning and executing a 10-12 night backpacking trip on unmarked trails in the wilderness, which could take place anywhere in the United States. 

It's an ambitious program, and I'm excited to be in on it at the ground level.  The other volunteers are a great group of people, and we are already talking about possibilities for our next adult training trip. 

I'm also finally getting comfortable with all the backpacking equipment I bought two years ago and have yet to really use.  Learning how to work my water filter, how to hang a bear bag, how to plan and prepare backpacking meals, etc... It's all stuff I've read about, but actually experiencing it with people who know what they're doing has been really good.  My confidence has grown enormously and I can't wait to go again.

Some pictures from today:

Heading out


Setting up camp


Pumping water


Bear Bag


Heading back to camp

No comments: