Saturday, January 14, 2012

Counting Blessings - Day 5

Feeling grateful today for this blog and for my daily writing time.

I've been keeping this blog since 2006.  It consists of fairly private thoughts, and there have been times I have been tempted to password-protect it - but in the end I have chosen to leave it open.  There are friends and family across the country who tell me they enjoy being able to come here and catch up on what we're doing through my daily musings and pictures in a way that's a little more intimate than other social media.  I also welcome the (very) occasional stranger who pops by to read or comment.

It's good knowing that the people regularly visiting my space and keeping tabs on us are, for the most part, here because they care for us and wish us well. 

Sitting down and doing some writing is an important part of my day, especially the gratitude journaling, which has been a good exercise for me during stressful times or difficult days.  It improves my mood and puts me in a better mindset, so I approach this space with joy in my heart and almost always leave feeling better than when I came to it.

So if you, reader, are a close friend or family member, or even a stranger who has stumbled upon this blog, I welcome your presence here and invite you to enjoy my daily ramblings and attempts to create harmony out of chaos.  In my own way, and in my own small space, I'm doing my part to provide a different perspective from so much of the sarcasm and negativity so prevalent on the Internet. 

My hope is that you will come away from here with peace and gratitude in your heart for the blessings in your own life. 

It's a time of uncertainty and change for us, and hopefully of growth as well.  As I was explaining to Little yesterday - when you're driving in your car at night toward a far-off destination, you can follow the signs and generally have faith that you're headed in the right direction and will get there eventually if you keep driving.  There are things you can learn along your journey if you pay attention and spend your travel time wisely.

But - if you can only see the 20 feet or so ahead of you that show up in the headlights, you're dealing with uncertainty.  There could be sudden turns in the road, or bumps, or even big holes to go around.  You just don't know, and that part can be a little stressful.  So what do you do?  You take a deep breath and you keep driving, and you sing songs and play games in the car to keep it fun, and you think and talk about all the cool stuff you're going to do when you get to where you're going. 

You say a little prayer that you will arrive safely.

I'm grateful for a general idea of our destination, for lessons we'll learn along the way and for the people who are here to share it, who are encouraging and supporting us and wishing us safe travel.   

And I'm grateful for this space, where I can document all of this - so that a year or two from now, we can look back and laugh. :-)

No comments: