Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 10 - Karate Euphoria

Wow, that felt good.

I mean, it always feels good, but on a day like today - when I haven't had enough sleep, when I was up and dressing for my run before sunrise, when I continued running and running and running all day long without a break and didn't even really want to go in tonight but forced myself - I really didn't expect it to feel good at all.

I took class, which was good, but more of a thinking class than a workout.  Then I changed and got ready for kickboxing.  My usual friends were already paired up.  The only other person without a partner was an older, tough-as-nails, covered-in-tattoos guy who I always see and think, ex-Marine.  We've never worked together before, but at this level I feel like I should be able to partner with pretty much anybody, so I waved to him and we grabbed targets and shields and got to work taking turns kicking and punching the heck out of each other.

This guy had serious power.  I dug in to keep from being knocked backward while I was holding for him. 

When it was my turn, he coached me.  He slapped the shield.  "This is the enemy, got it?"

"Got it."  He had clearly been treating my shield as the enemy, so I was happy to indulge.  I gave it a serious beating, doing my best to match his intensity, and he egged me on, apparently surprised that little 5'4" me had that much power. 

(If he had any idea of the stress I was working off, he might not have been so surprised.)

Working with someone so much bigger and stronger doesn't necessarily hurt - but it does get the adrenaline seriously pumping.  Which makes doing the burpees, crunches, sprints, etc. that much more exhilarating.  I did them all. 

By the end of class, I felt high as a kite.

Of course, then I crashed mid-way through my childbirth class while my couples were practicing relaxation. I think I was still mostly crashed when I met up with Middle and the other ninja buddies at the cafe. 

Now, I'm just feeling pleasantly exhausted.  Ready for a hot bath and bed.

I'll sleep well tonight.

No comments: