Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 106: To Mud or not To Mud


Despite the fact that I finally did start running again, today, in the Vibrams, for about a mile and a half (and wow, did it feel good!) - the seven weeks I took off after I broke my toe pretty much decimated my plans to run the Tough Mudder this weekend. 

Granted, I didn't take any time off from karate or kickboxing, and in that respect I'm still in peak condition from the 2-3 hours I spend training almost every day.  But the course is 10-12 miles, punctuated by cold, wet, muddy obstacles, and I had planned to at least be comfortable running 5 before the event.

Savageman told The Master when he saw him at the gym that I probably wasn't doing it.  So I knew that he already knew this when he approached me before kickboxing and said, "So are you all set for this weekend?"

He's not letting me off the hook so easy.

Me: "I don't think I'm going - I haven't trained for it.  At all."

Him: Trademark inquisitive look.

Me: "I haven't been running for the last 2 months because of the toe."

Him: "I've never been a runner - I do the eliptical.  You'll be fine."

Me: "Well, you've been... elipticaling... and I haven't."

Him: "It will be great.  You and I will bring up the rear. All we need to do is run from one obstacle to the next. And you can skip any of the obstacles you don't like."

It's the Jedi Mind Trick.  Must resist....

Me: "I don't want to drive all the way up there just to stand around."

Him: "Ride with us."

Me: "Your car is full. I'd need to sit on someone's lap."

He called out to one of his kids and uninvited her.

Him: "Now there's room."

I'm in big trouble now.

Me: "I'd rather stay here and work on my forms."

Him: "We'll be done by noon.  You can come in and work on forms the whole rest of the day. Come on, it will be a blast."

There really is no saying no to The Master.  That's why he's The Master.  I think they teach you the Jedi Mind Trick between the 5th and 6th Dan.

He moved me from a no to a maybe. 

It would be kinda fun.

Of course, knowing him, once I'm there he'll use the Jedi Mind Trick to get me to do the obstacles as well. 

Sigh...

1 comment:

notlikeacat said...

It will be so much fun! I don't think you will regret it.