Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 126: Mothers' Day

Which, really, should be the Most Important Day of the Year.

At least at my house.

It actually was a pretty good Mothers' Day.  The boys prepared a Huevos Rancheros Omelettesque Type Thing for breakfast and served it to me in bed.  (Note to self: teach them how to make coffee.)

We went to church, where I received the special blessing.  Which I need more than once a year, I'm thinking.

After the usual Sunday cleaning chaos, we loaded the kayaks on the car and I took my own beloved Mom kayaking for the afternoon.  We did about 5.5 miles on the creek in about 2 hours.  Saw lots of birds, enjoyed the sights and smells and overall serenity of the trip. 

There's something about the wet, earthy, woodsy smell of the creek that always reminds me of summer.  I found myself breathing it in deeply, trying to memorize it.  It was lovely.























Following our adventure, we had dinner at their house to celebrate both Mothers' Day and my Dad's birthday. Dad always cooks Sunday night dinner for us, but this time, he went all out with an Italian Feast. I'm still stuffed, and we brought home a week's worth of leftovers. Great guy, my Dad... :-)

The recipe for the homemade pie he served for dessert:

PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE PIE(Serves 6)
1 pre-made vanilla cookie crumb or graham cracker pie crust
Filling:1-1/4 cups creamy peanut butter
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
Glaze:1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

For filling:Combine peanut butter, cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and butter with an electric mixer.
Set aside.

In another bowl, beat cream, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
Stir a small portion of the cream into the peanut butter mixture to lighten it.
Fold in remaining cream.
Spoon filling into crust. Refrigerate until firm, 5-6 hours.
To make the glaze:Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan.
Reduce heat to low. Add chocolate and stir until smooth.
Cool chocolate 5-10 minutes, and then pour over peanut butter filling.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to one day before serving.

Yeah.  It was amazing.

Looking forward to getting back to the workout routine this week, possibly with the addition of running once more.  I plan to do a 5k next weekend so it wouldn't hurt to get a few good runs in between now and then.

No comments: