Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 144: Keyed Up

Concerned that I might doze off during my childbirth class tonight, I purchased myself a Venti Hazelnut Iced Coffee with Light Ice and Cream at Starbucks.

At 6:50 p.m.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

And, for the most part, it was.  I was pepped up through class, had a great time with my buddies at the cafe afterwards (including one of my favorite girlfriends who is finally home from studying abroad last semester), and I had plenty of energy to go back and help clean the dojang and squeeze in some extra practice after that.

Middle and I got the sparring and grappling practice we needed for the test Saturday, which was great for me with her as a partner and the guru (who coaches wrestling and dabbles in Brazilian jujitsu) coaching me. 

It was exhilarating.

On the downside, while doing some energetic, light-contact sparring before we left, my left index and middle finger got jammed and are now beginning to swell up.

Just as my right thumb was starting to feel better from a similar injury a few weeks ago. 

Did I mention the test is Saturday? Sigh...

At least the pain in my fingers will take my mind off the thumb, which suddenly seems like no big deal at all.

So now it's late, I'm home icing my fingers, knowing I should sleep, but still metabolizing the caffeine and adrenaline I've accumulated over the last few hours. 

I'm excited for my test.  Nervous, but excited.  The guru paired with me during the mock test today and said I did much better.  He worked with me tonight on making my side kicks look sharper.  He also demonstrated the next longstick forms I'll be learning for my red stripe and black belt tests.  It sounds like the longstick and I will become good friends over the next year or so.

An interesting side note - while we were sparring, my girlfriend must have noticed the recent improvement I've made - she asked me why I wasn't on the competition team!  I laughed and said it was just for the kids and teens, and she reminded me that she and some of the other college students were on it too.  Savageman has been encouraging me to compete for a while, but it was something else entirely to hear it from a highly-admired second-degree black belt.  (I'll still give him credit for the idea if I wind up trying it.)  Even the guru, who I consider something of a purist, agrees that competition can really help with sharpening skills.

Something to consider when I'm not so caffeinated....

No comments: