Secrets of Success
2. Work at something you enjoy and that's worthy of your time and talent.
3. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
4. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
5. Be forgiving of yourself and others.
6. Be generous.
7. Have a grateful heart.
8. Persistence, persistence, persistence.
9. Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
10. Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
11. Commit yourself to constant improvement.
12. Commit yourself to quality.
13. Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
14. Be loyal.
15. Be honest.
16. Be a self-starter.
17. Be decisive even if it means you'll sometimes be wrong.
18. Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
19. Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did.
20. Take good care of those you love.
21. Don't do anything that wouldn't make your Mom proud.
- Author Unknown
Honestly? I live by this. I do my very best, day in and day out to do every single one of these things, even when it's hard - especially when it's hard.
My only issue with this list is the title. Contrary to what we might like to believe, none of this guarantees success. You can consistently do all these things and life still may not go the way you want it to go. The world doesn't owe you a steady income, perfect children, lifelong friendships, or fabulous adventures - even if you bend over backwards to be the very best person you can be, day in and day out, even when it's hard.
The only certain payoff from all this effort is that you can sleep with yourself at night, knowing deep in your heart that you did your best that day and that tomorrow you'll work harder at the areas in which you're struggling.
Maybe that's the essence of true success. In any case, it was a good list.
Grateful today for reminders like this that pop up when we need to see them. I'm posting this one on the fridge.