Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Green

Belts were presented tonight.

For the first time since last March, I put a color other than yellow around my waist.

My new belt is...


Green. 

I love it already.

Green is three colors away from White, and two colors away from Black.

For me, Green represents two and a half years of study, of memorization, of repetition, of sweat.  Two and a half years of hard landings, flubbed forms, sore muscles and broken toes.

Two and a half years of up to 10 hours per week in the dojang, and many more practicing between classes in my living room and backyard.  Of asking my son to grab or kick or punch me once more so I could get a technique right.

Two and a half years of the most patient teachers and mentors and friends encouraging me and reminding me that even the second-degree Black Belts were once White or Orange or Yellow Belts struggling with the same form or technique.

And telling me that if they could get it, I will too if I keep trying.


Which is what I do.

It's what I do.


And now I'll do it wearing Green.

:-)

No comments: