Monday, December 12, 2011

Savoring It

I spent a large chunk of time lying on the couch with Middle today.  We were both reading.  He had his Psychology text, and then a science magazine; I had a book called Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar.  I was pleased that we were reading about the same thing for a little while - his chapter and mine were both describing the concept of "flow" - the state of being immersed in something that is rewarding in itself, when we realize peak experience and peak performance. 

He and I both know what that feels like - it happens all the time when we're in our kickboxing and martial arts classes.  I would also say I experience that while I'm writing and while I'm running.  We had a good conversation about what our different sources said about flow, and how it applies to our own lives.

The book I'm reading describes several reasons why so many children do not have chances to experience this at school.  I don't know how Middle will be once he goes to school next year, but I'm glad he's had this foundation of spending large amounts of time doing something he loves, which both challenges him and gives him a sense of mastery.  I hope he remembers this feeling of flow when he is choosing his paths in life somewhere down the road.

I also hope he remembers days like this, where the two of us were able to just cuddle up under a blanket on the couch and read together for hours.  This is likely our last year of having these long stretches of time together.  I want to savor them.

No comments: