Friday, December 09, 2011

It's Late

... and I just got home from a party, so this is going to be quick.

I love hanging out with my hippie-birthy-midwifey friends.  It's... comfortable.

Which is, by no means, to say that my other friends are at all uncomfortable - it's just that those relationships took time and effort to develop.  With this group, the connection happens right away.

When I meet new people in this circle like I did tonight, there's the feeling of "she's one of us - she's okay."  Having spent the last 15 years teaching natural childbirth and breastfeeding grants me automatic membership to this group of passionate homebirthers and extended breastfeeders. 

It's nice to feel that welcome, without having to explain or defend or justify who I am.  There's a level of acceptance with them that you don't often see.  Maybe it comes from being outside the mainstream in many ways.

Feeling blessed to have spent so much time with them this week.

:-)

No comments: